Wednesday, July 2, 2008

happy birthday sir ken


july 3rd is the 81st birthday of the legendary mr. ken russell. if it were up to me, he would've been knighted a long time ago. in fact, i hereby take it upon myself to bestow the honor. i tap my metaphoric sword gently on each strong shoulder, and with all my heart, i wish him a happy birthday, and rise Sir Ken Russell. tonight i've decided to celebrate ken by spotlighting the first film of his i ever learned. that film is 'tommy.' i saw it when i was about five years old. and my head was never the same. i credit sir ken with jolting my imagination with such a shock of glorious frightening electricity that it influenced every aspect of what i believed provocative art could and should be. if i were to cite every instance and image of ken's that left me both breathless and speechless, i'd be up until dawn. if i were to put into words my boundless adoration and almost holy appreciation for his tireless, daring work, i'd be typing until Indepence Day. Ken, if you're out there, i give you the sweetest birthday kiss... (or the gaudiest, whichever you prefer.) i hope your birthday is a good one. I love you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree he should be knighted and so I created a petition at the 10 Downing Street website - sadly I only have 15 signatures so far :-(

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Ken-Russell-Gong/

Barry