Saturday, March 15, 2008

athens


this is the tremendously gifted mike millis, bass player and one quarter of the pen behind the songs of r.e.m. they are from athens, georgia... as many of you know. i lived for a while in georgia. in augusta. it was sort of like the honeymoon after my 13 years of fomal education. its a hot place. slow people... florid with golf and barbecue and ice cream. it was the closest to living in surburbia i've ever come. it was, in retrospect, bittersweet, but i wouldn't trade those months for anything. it is hard for me to hear mike mills sing and not grow misty about that time in my life. alone, playing house, with my only love. in my opinion, mike's finest song vocally, is 'texarcana.' unfortunately, i don't have access to that track at this... precise moment.

No comments: