Monday, September 1, 2008

l is for lupone


miss patti lupone. she was the first 'evita,' (in new york) and in my opinion, the only 'evita.' just like michael crawford will always be 'the only' phantom of the opera for me. i've never seen the play, but i had the original cast album back in the late 80's, and jean-lucien and i played the hell out of it. i think somewhere deep in a cabinet in my mom's house, there's even some home video (shot by jean-lucien) of me back in my old bedroom, vamping and lip-syncing 'rainbow high,' with a ton of makeup on, and my hair pulled back, psuedo 'evita'-style,' with a big-ass red scarf on the ponytail. patti also lent her talents to several movies. she played harrison ford's sister in 'witness,' and dan ackroyd's wife in 'driving miss daisy.' she was magnificent in the late 80's staging of 'anything goes.' she also recently took on the role of 'miss lovett' in the revival of 'sweeney todd.' but to me, she'll always be that sassy songstress from argentina. did you know she was only like, 5 feet tall? maybe less?

2 comments:

jean-lucien said...

chose this one for a notebook cover.
thanks always, dora, for the pearl.

almadora said...

you're welcome as always, my love.