Monday, August 25, 2008

g is for gloss


lip glossss....! who doesn't love it? there are all types of lip gloss, and every girl (and some boys) have their faves. when i was younger, a girlfriend of mine who lived across the street used to get me and my brother jean-lucien to play the 'purse game.' she had about five different little purses laid out with their own little mirrors and glosses and other such magical trinkets. i always used to wish for the 'ball and oil' variety lip gloss; sooo much more luxurious than the waxy 'pot gloss,' applied crudely with one's own finger. then there was the 'wand' variety gloss. (wow... i just realized i could write a whole solid chapter on lip gloss.) i remember one time i was in the westchester mall in high point, nc, with my mother... and i had been fortunate enough to find myself in the posession of a brand-new glassy, glossy, thick and perfumed mysterious mint-scented roll-on gloss. it felt cold and heavy... like an amulet of luck in my pocket, i played with it out of sight, rubbing my little anxious thumb over its contours. then suddenly, somewhere in between D's Village Dollhose Shop and the gaping entrance to Thalheimer's... i dropped the coy vial on the stony floor and watched it fracture and ooze... a total shameful loss... right at my feet. i can't imagine i wasn't scolded for it...but i don't remember that part of it. at the time i remember thinking... no punishment could be as slicing and final as the death of my sweet mint roll-on lip gloss. sigh. i have a message to any girl out there with her own money. go lip gloss shopping. its an absolute good.

1 comment:

lucynell2 said...

Once again, Adore! that lipgloss tale. How lovely. I had a similar experience but it centered around a summer day and the very hot backseat of a Buick. And Almadora, I did get scolded (even though I didn't then and still don't control the weather, or the chemical instability of lip gloss in reaction to heat.)

I had also forgotten about D's Dollhouse Village. That store was terrifying, right?